Lena Dunham is our Health At Every Size goddess — celebs that jog - The Hollywood Mag

Lena Dunham is our Health At Every Size goddess — celebs that jog

Actress Lena Dunham arrives for Glamour Magazine's "Women Of The Year" event in New York Ah, fitness – it’s a euphorically horrible thing to experience! And we can always count on celebs for a good guilt trip to get us to the gym in order to jack up our heart rates and get those muscles throbbing. Despite many celebs working out like maniacs to keep their bodies painfully underweight (YOU CAN THANK THE WHITE MALE MACHINE FOR THAT!), Lena Dunham is the latest star to show her appreciation for fitness.  But her new found love for jogging has less to do with looking svelte and more to do with accomplishing a goal, not to mention satisfying a personal mission that fosters a solid mind-body connection that is often lost in the pursuit of the thin ideal. lena4 “Not usually one to post a paparazzi shot but this fills me with pride,” she wrote on her Instagram alongside the photo pictured above. “Basically my whole life I have hated running and run like a wounded baby Pterodactyl. It was embarrassing and honestly I did not trust myself to escape a burning building or even move briskly towards a buffet. @jennikonner is directing the season finale of Girls and decided that as Hannah evolved so would her run, so she got me a training session with Matt Wilpers from Mile High Run Club. Within an hour I had a different relationship to this formerly torturous activity. I felt strong, swift and proud. I’m not about to embrace the triathlon life but it’s a true joy to continue getting more connected to my body and its powers.” lena3 Dunham is a beautiful example of one of our favourite health mantras, which also happens to have a rock-solid backing of scientific evidence to support it, so you can’t dispute it! It’s called Health At Every Size (HAES) and it says that no matter what your body shape or BMI (both of which being relatively poor markers for health), you can be healthy – and completely reduce your risk of health complications like heart disease and diabetes – by keeping physically active and following a generally healthy diet. We love it, and we love Dunham for taking on her fears of jogging and owning it! YOU GO, LENA!! With that said, there are a number of celebs out there who are also big into hitting the pavement. Let’s take a look, shall we…

Ashley Spegel has been writing all the words as a part-time, Toronto-based freelance writer since 2008, following her graduation from Ryerson’s School of Journalism. With a strong passion for written communication, she has been spreading the good word through various online media, touching on a wide range of topics including celebrity gossip, health and beauty and citywide events.

7 Comments

1. Dave Webber

July 31, 2015 at 9:02 am

“YOU CAN THANK THE WHITE MALE MACHINE FOR THAT!”
    Nice racism, we’re all taking your article seriously now.

• TheHollywoodMag

July 31, 2015 at 10:46 am

Wait, where’s the racism? The patriarch was built and supported by white males that created all kinds of social standards that oppress women (and people of colour). This ‘ideal’ beauty standard is just an example of one of the results.

2. Webber

July 31, 2015 at 9:07 am

That girl is not healthy, and this writer is racist. Good job.

• Ashley Spegel

July 31, 2015 at 11:37 am

Hi Webber,

I’m sorry you think I’m being racist by referring to white men as white. Referring to an individual by the colour of their skin is not racist, it’s a fact. And it’s white men who control the vast majority of the media and consumer culture that the Western world partakes in. This is not racism, this is a fact.

Your comment on Lena Dunham’s health status is invalid because you don’t have access to her medical records, nor do I. The point of my article is to demonstrate that everyone can be healthy regardless of their body type. From my understanding, you think Lena is “not healthy” because she doesn’t conform to what society deems healthy, which is a thin body type. As I’ve expressed in my article, body shape is not a good representation of health. Instead, positive markers for health include regular physical activity and healthy eating patterns. Lena Dunham is exemplifying of one of these markers.

It’s clear that you’re worked up after reading my article. I suggest you calm down, re-read what I’ve written so you can properly grasp the premise of it and, if you feel the need, come back with an argument that has a factual basis.

Thank you for reading The Hollywood Mag!

• Webber

July 31, 2015 at 6:22 pm

As a black man (yes Webber is my slave name thank you very much), I think I’m pretty good at sniffing out racism. “YOU CAN THANK THE WHITE MALE MACHINE FOR THAT” is no different than saying “Gang crime is up (You can thank the black male machine for that).

Further it is obvious to anyone with half a brain that women are way way more critical of the bodies of other women. They also create and consume the majority of female targeted media which, you guessed it, creates these damaging stereotypes.

Finally, yes she had some extra pounds, I personally enjoy that on a woman, but also recognize that it is unhealthy to be carrying around extra weight.

Just because the bar for obesity has been raised doesn’t meant the bar for a healthy body has. HAES is a load of BS and propagating that is damaging to society at large.

• Crawford

August 10, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hmmmm..is it Webber M.D.? You can’t diagnose health by looking at a picture. You might also use your dictionary and look up the word racism. What she said may be considered derogatory but not racist.

3. TheHollywoodMag